Monday, November 28, 2011

DHANIA CHICKEN / CHICKEN IN CILANTRO SAUCE


Every dish that we make always have a story associated. Some kindles those childhood memories that gets hidden over years and others are those we picked up over the life from some books or resturants or even television... :) . Restaurants and television are the major places from where I collect my inspirations.

The recipe I am sharing today has several stories to it as well. When I was in school, not sure which class, I had gone to visit my maternal uncle and his neighbour had treated us with this dish...although I dont remember how it looked or tasted, I just remember Mom saying..."Need to Try it" :) . My mom is very good in guessing the ingredients just by tasting a dish, so that's how she picked up this recipe. On my 18th birthday , I was having a small party at home and mom made this dish for my friends and everyone loved it....and thats the flavor I remember. :)


I moved to Bangalore in the year 2003---I was sent here by my family only cause my cousin sister was here. For the first year I used to stay in a hostel for the name sake at least , most of the time I would be at her place.... :) .

A very innovative and creative person thats what describes her. She is a very loveable person and honestly till date I have not met anyone that knows her and dislikes her, thats just impossible. She would help anyone and everyone all you have to do is ask even if that ended in choas for her. She always gave her 100% or even more to whatever she did, when she was working she was great and achieved a lot for her age. Now that she is a homemaker, she has a wonderful blog with breath-taking photos---you all know her as Kankana and to me she is my Didibhai.... :) .


She is always more then just a sister, she is my friend--- my comfort pillow :) . We all need someone with whom we can share our secrets and she is that person in my life. There is nothing in my life that she doesn't know and its same with her too.  I have cried and laughed with her several times. My cooking experiments also started while I was with her :) . And one day I decided to treat her and so I made her this dish. She loved it and would often keep taking about the dish :)


Times changed and now she got settled in USA . A few weeks back when she told me that she would be coming to India I was so excited and I had thought to make the same dish for her just to remind her of those days. Sadly she told me she wont be coming to Bangalore :( however I thought to make the dish for her ---- its the thought that counts right.  

This dish is called ------ Dhania Chicken or Chicken in Cilantro Sauce

Print Page


FOR DHANIA CHICKEN 
Boneless Chicken  500 gms
Cilantro 500 gms
Onion paste 2-3 tablespoons
Ginger-garlic paste2 teaspoons
Yogurt4-5 tablespoons
Tomato puree4 tablespoons
Paprika2 teaspoons
SaltAs per taste
Ground-Nut Oil2 tablespoons


    DHANIA CHICKEN / CHICKEN IN CILANTRO SAUCE:-
  1. Cut the chicken into small pieces. I used boneless chicken thigh however chicken breast can be used too.
  2. In a bowl marinate the chicken pieces with ginger-garlic paste and yogurt. Let it stand for 30 min.
  3. Blend the cilantro with slight water till it forms a smooth-green puree.
  4. Heat oil in a large pan and add the onion paste. Fry till the water is absorbed and till it gets a slight brown color.
  5. Add the marinated chicken pieces to the fried onion. 
  6. Add salt to the pan, cover and cook the chicken over low flame till all the water is evaporated and the chicken is soft.
  7. Mix tomato puree and paprika with little water and pour it on the cooking chicken.
  8. Cook the chicken over medium flame till all the water is soaked.
  9. Pour the green puree to the chicken and let it cook. The color changes from green to greenish brown when the dish is cooked.
  10. Garnish it with butter poached cherry tomatoes.
             
    The dish goes well with Paratha or Chapati. I had it with sesame coated butter naan.

    Priyanka

    17 comments:

    Very comforting dish..:) Liked the story behind this recipe..:)
    Reva

    I am all mushy after reading the post. Love you sweetie and seriously wished we could have met this time. I miss you a lot! and this curry sounds yumm .. just too YUM :)

    Super comforting chicken dish,would love simply with a bowl of rice and dal..

    Mmmmmm...love the ingredients here! And I never knew the connection between you and Kankana :)How wonderful!!!!

    Oh my, Kankana is you cousin? That's news! So sweet of you to prepare a dish especially for her -- God bless you both!

    wow..sounds scrumptiously tasty...excellent presentation priyanka..
    happy following you..:)
    wish to see you in my space too..
    Tasty Appetite

    So sweet of you to make this for your loving sister Kankana..Im sure this made a delish & one memorable meal!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    Wow..Beautiful template...Luvly space..Glad to follow ur blog...Sisters luk pretty and charm.

    You are correct. Every dish has the story associated with us!! You dhania chicken looks yumm!

    Just mouthwatering...looks so easy to prepare and delicious!

    I loved your story and found your chicken to be as comforting as your memories. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    Interesting dish with wonderful story behind..Thanks for sharing..

    Looks mouthwatering kankana and u looks good. Nice to meet u.

    wow....looks so mouthwatering n delicious....bookmarking it ....

    such a sweet post that is Priyanka. love Kankana's blog and you have created a lovely space for yourself too. the chicken looks wonderful.

    Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More